RequirementsTo be a good fit for the Strategic Planning and Scheduling Manager role, you should have:
- A bachelor's degree in Business, Agribusiness, Animal Science, Statistics, Finance, or related field
- 5 years of experience in the protein industry, beef industry preferred
- Experience with scheduling and planning in the protein industry is highly preferred
- Working knowledge of cost accounting
- Supervisory experience
- Strong MS-Office skills, especially with Excel
- Advanced competence in:
- Critical thinking and root cause analysis
- Understanding and using statistics to control manufacturing processes
- Navigating the U.S. Regulatory system and interpreting the regulatory environment in the U.S.
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal, including:
- Strong follow up with all stakeholders
- Solid customer service relationship skills
- The ability to tailor the message to the audience, exercise persuasion, and diplomacy
- The ability to work effectively in a team atmosphere
- Strong experience managing various responsibilities simultaneously and prioritizing multiple projects
Up to 25% to visit our Live Operations and some customers.
The RoleYou will report directly to the CEO and routinely interact with Sales & Marketing, Live Operations, Finance, R&D/Engineering, and customers as needed. Reporting to you will be two Schedulers. We are a culture of innovation and unique thinking, with a team-oriented approach.
We will rely on you to schedule, 12 months in advance, what’s needed to produce our products, and continually update that plan with new data so we always know where we are against plan. The plan begins with Sales. Working closely with the VP of Sales & Marketing, you will gather forecasts for each customer, plug them into our ERP system and identify where the imbalances are. Initially, you will be given the already established 12-month strategic plan to execute. As you learn the role, we will rely on you to always have a 12-month strategic plan and update it week-by-week.
In addition to planning, you are responsible for: (1) the execution of integrated strategic and tactical production plans; (2) cattle and raw material scheduling precepts within FPL farms, manufacturing operations, and supplier network; and (3) minimizing risk and maximizing profits. This includes:
- Monitoring performance to assure conformance to the plan by sales, live operations, manufacturing, and raw supply.
- Working with Live Operations on establishing their production goals based on projected sales. They must know well in advance how many small calves they need to buy and put on feed so they are ready for the slaughterhouse nine months later.
- Continuous evaluation of opportunities for competitive advantages in balance with sales needs, manufacturing capacities, and commodity sales.
- Development and execution of production and inventory transitional plans during the implementation of new products or process change.
- Coordinating start-up issues with Manufacturing, R&D/Engineering, and Raw Materials.
To be successful in this role requires a keen understanding of how our business works, the ability to be proactive, continually looking ahead, and strong team skills as you coordinate cross-functionally. We will look to you to formalize the structure of the Scheduling Department and put in the necessary processes and procedures to enable it to flow smoothly.
Pictured above: FPL Food's processing plant in Augusta, GA.
Why FPL?Career Growth - one of your first opportunities will be to work directly with the CEO to learn about margins and how to consider them to optimize profitability. Further down the road, as you help us grow, there will be many new opportunities. Do a great job and your role will expand.
Join a Great Team - we are purposefully building a talented management team who are excited by what we're doing and their participation. If you've been part of a large company where you have to follow established protocol without question, you will enjoy the challenge of building your department and being a part of developing procedures.
We are Revolutionizing the Industry - with our total vertical integration that allows us to feed cattle in the southeast, we are lowering our carbon footprint and increasing sustainability. We also have some exciting, proprietary projects that you will want to be part of.
Caring Culture - our culture is, in a word, amazing. No one is a number here; our employees care about each other and are cared about by the company in tangible ways. When employees run into personal challenges, there are fundraisers and the company contributes. If a former employee passes away, someone from the company attends the service. We celebrate personal milestones and we keep up with what's happening using the Social Page of our website.
Ties to the Community - our processing plant has been a fixture in Augusta since the early 1900's. Augusta is not only physically beautiful, the people here are very friendly and welcoming and your co-workers are no exception. They are a good group of people who are proud to be a "part of something." Our company investments, community partnerships and employee giving help to improve the quality of life in the communities we serve.
Attractive Compensation Package - in addition to a competitive salary, FPL Food provides medical and dental coverage through Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Georgia, vision insurance, 6 paid holidays and paid vacation starting at two weeks and growing to five weeks based on length of employment. You can also choose from the following voluntary programs: a 401(k), life insurance, and short-term or long-term disability insurance. We also offer FPL Food meat products for purchase at a discount.
About FPL Food, LLCTHE FPL EDGE
At FPL Food, we are large enough to meet our customers' volumes as well as have the versatility to cater to a customer’s specific product need. Our integrated approach further provides both our foodservice and retail customers with cost effective meat selections to diversify their menu or provide consistency in their meat case. As part of our integrated process from Pasture to Plate, our farm, Châtel Farms allows us to consistently provide quality beef products and volume to our customers throughout the year. Located in Southeast Georgia on 1,155 acres, we feed 2500 head of cattle to balance the yearly supply needed to meet the demand of our customers. FPL Food prides itself on developing and implementing new technologies to maximize production, increase employee safety, innovate new products and provide the quality families want to enjoy through life’s everyday schedule.OUR VERTICAL INTEGRATION
Celebrating all that Georgia has to offer, FPL Food brings something wholly unique to the southeast: vertically integrated beef from Châtel Farms. Under the care of our family owned and operated company we oversee every aspect of production. By selecting the proper cattle breed, the right diet and maintaining outstanding animal welfare, we deliver a quality of beef that the Peach State can be proud to call its own.
Pictured: FPL Foods trade show booth displaying many of our high quality end products.